Torrance Uncontested Divorce Lawyer
What Is an Uncontested Divorce?
Divorce can be difficult and emotional for everyone involved, but it does not always have to be this way. California law allows for uncontested divorces when parties agree on important things such as custody, child support, spousal support, and property division. Generally, uncontested divorces are more amicable, which reduces the emotional toll they take on spouses, children, and other family members. Additionally, they are often faster and cheaper.
If you are considering filing for an uncontested divorce, turn to Michael D. Shook, Attorney At Law. With decades of experience practicing family law in Los Angeles County, you can trust Attorney Shook to look out for your rights and help you throughout the divorce process. While uncontested divorces are typically simpler than others, a lawyer can be a safety net if complications arise.
To consult with a Torrance uncontested divorce attorney, call (310) 361-2977.
Why Choose an Uncontested Divorce?
Choosing an uncontested divorce can be highly beneficial.
Should this divorce option be possible for you and your spouse, you could:
- Save Time and Money: Because uncontested divorces require fewer court appearances and may not feature negotiations or mediation, they can be straightforward and cost-effective.
- Reduce Conflict: Much of the turmoil accompanying divorce stems from disagreements. When spouses work together in an uncontested divorce, they can minimize conflict and navigate the legal process more peacefully.
- Have Greater Control Over the Outcome: Spouses in an uncontested divorce are in control of how the terms of divorce look. This is not always the case in contested divorces, where a judge or other third party may have to decide an aspect of the divorce.
The Marital Agreement
One of the key components of an uncontested divorce is the marital agreement. Spouses must create this written document before proceeding with a divorce. It should detail how they will handle the terms of the divorce. The agreement is a binding contract that will go into effect once the divorce is finalized.
Many wonder: “If a divorce is uncontested, do I need an attorney?” While navigating the divorce process alone is possible, there are significant risks. Not all uncontested divorces remain uncontested, and a party may be at a disadvantage if they do not have a lawyer to advocate for them in unexpected disputes. Additionally, a knowledgeable divorce lawyer can help a person work through the complex divorce process, increasing the likelihood that they avoid pitfalls.
For numerous clients in the past, Torrance uncontested divorce lawyer Michael D. Shook has:
- Helped spouses create and negotiate the terms of a marital settlement agreement.
- Prepared and filed crucial divorce documents.
- Represented clients in negotiations concerning child support, custody, property division, and more.
- Supported individuals and their families from a divorce’s inception to its resolution.
- Represented clients when they had to appear in court.
Before you go through a divorce, reach out to our office. Initial case reviews are free, which makes it easy to find out how Attorney Shook could help you reach a fair divorce settlement.