Parental Rights

Parental Rights Attorney in Torrance, California

Michael D. Shook, Attorney At Law, wants to help you do what is best for your child or children. Do not hesitate to turn to him if you are facing a custody, visitation, or child support dispute. Since 1994, Attorney Shook has represented parents and grandparents in Los Angeles County and fought to protect their rights. Whether you need an attorney to guide you through negotiations, take legal action to enforce your parental rights, or handle any other matter of family law, Torrance parental rights lawyer Michael D. Shook has the right skill and experience for the job. 

Send a message online or call (310) 361-2977 to set up a free case review.  

What Are Parental Rights?

California law details rights that parents have to provide and care for, visit, and make decisions for their children. These rights are not exclusive to biological parents. Non-biological parents, grandparents, and a child’s relatives can secure parental rights. 

Those who give birth to a child automatically receive parental rights. An individual married to the person giving birth also automatically obtains them. In other cases, unwed parents, stepparents, and relatives must take legal action to seek parental rights. 

Establishing Paternity in California

Paternity is a legal relationship between a father and child. Establishing paternity grants a person all parental rights and responsibilities. Generally, there are two options for establishing paternity: voluntary declaration of paternity (VDOP) and court action. A VDOP allows parents to acknowledge and establish paternity without taking the case before a judge. A court action, on the other hand, requires litigation to prove paternity. To learn more about these legal processes and paternity law, visit our paternity page.

Parental Rights for Stepparents, Family Members, and Non-Biological Parents

Those who are not a child’s biological parents can seek visitation rights or parental rights through adoption or by establishing guardianship. California courts endeavor to make custody decisions that are in the best interests of a child. 

These interests include:

  • The child’s physical and emotional health.
  • The ability of the child’s parents to provide adequate care. 
  • The relationship between the child and the person seeking adoption, guardianship, or visitation rights. 

Can You Lose Parental Rights?

In short, yes. California courts can revoke parental rights if a parent neglects, abandons, or abuses their child. Individuals may also surrender their parental rights to allow a stepparent adoption or if they are putting their child up for adoption. 

Speak to a Torrance Parental Rights Lawyer Today 

To protect your parental rights or seek them, turn to Attorney Shook. He is a skilled and highly-experienced family law attorney who has handled thousands of cases. Contact our office to schedule a consultation, during which you can discuss the details of your case with an attentive and compassionate parental rights lawyer in Torrance. Attorney Shook offers affordable legal services and payment plans.

Call (310) 361-2977 today. 

What Sets Us Apart

Why Clients Choose Us
  • Personalized Strategies & Results
    Receive the one-on-one attention you deserve. We respond to emergencies within 24 hours.
  • Over 30 Years of Experience
    You can rely on an attorney who specializes in various areas of law to handle your case.
  • Offering 100% Free Consults
    Talk through all of your legal options during a free consultation.

Take Your Next Step

Request a Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy