Criminal Defense Lawyer in Torrance, California
If you have been arrested for a crime in Los Angeles County, you face the possibility of a criminal conviction which could result in jail time, fines, and potentially lifelong impacts. Even though you may believe you are innocent, the goal of law enforcement and prosecutors is to convict you. You should not wait to hire an attorney to protect your rights and fight for your freedom and future.
Michael D. Shook, Attorney At Law, has 30+ years of navigating criminal cases in Los Angeles County courts. He is a criminal defense lawyer in Torrance you can feel confident turning to in the moments it matters the most. Getting started with him is simple. All you have to do is reach out and schedule a convenient case review. These meetings are free, so there is no reason to wait to find out how Attorney Shook can defend you.
Being arrested can be a scary experience, even if it is something you have anticipated because of an investigation. Despite how stressful being taken into custody is, there are important things you should remember to do and not to do.
What to do:
- Cooperate with law enforcement. Any action that could make it seem like you are resisting arrest could complicate the process or even increase the severity of your charges.
- Know you are innocent until proven guilty. Just because you have been arrested does not mean you will be convicted. You likely have many defense options at your disposal.
- Ask for a lawyer as soon as possible. By retaining an attorney early, you will be able to benefit from their counsel and advocacy throughout the criminal process.
What not to do:
- Provide law enforcement or prosecutors with more than basic information, such as your name or age. What you say about the circumstances of your arrest, yourself, or anything else could be used against you.
- Speak about your case with anyone except your lawyer. This includes family members and friends. Keep things between yourself and your attorney to prevent information from getting into the wrong hands.
California’s Criminal Process
California’s criminal process generally involves eight steps. The details of each step will often look different from case to case. It is important to note that at every one of them, people have important rights, including the right to the counsel of a lawyer.
The process begins with an investigation (1). Law enforcement gathers evidence related to an alleged crime to build a case. If they find enough evidence, they can make an arrest and file charges (2) for the prosecution to review.
A defendant will first appear in court at an arraignment (3). Here, a judge will present their charges. The defendant must then enter a plea of “guilty” or “not guilty.” Judges may also set bail (4) at the arraignment.
Then, the defending and prosecuting teams will exchange and gather information in the discovery phase (5). They might also make pretrial motions and attempt to negotiate plea deals.
A case will go to trial (6) if the defending and negotiating teams do not agree on a plea deal. Both attorneys will present evidence, examine witnesses, and make arguments during the trial. A judge or jury will hear these things and reach a verdict.
Should a court find a defendant guilty, a judge will consider various factors to determine the crime’s sentence (7). The factors include the severity and circumstances of the crime, as well as the defendant’s criminal record. Sentences can include jail time, fines, probation, and community service.
Those convicted of a crime can possibly appeal (8) it when they have legal grounds. Courts make mistakes that a defending attorney can highlight and request a higher court to review.
Benefits of an Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney
With over three decades under his belt, Attorney Shook has no shortage of experience trying various misdemeanor and felony cases in Los Angeles County. What could his experience mean for you and your case?
The benefits of working with an experienced Torrance criminal defense attorney include:
- Defense strategies backed by a wealth of knowledge: Attorney Shook has a deep understanding of the criminal justice system. He knows how to navigate the complexities of a court case and uses this knowledge to build strong defense strategies.
- Having an advocate to protect your rights at every turn: Defendants have rights that law enforcement, prosecutors, and other court officials should not violate. Attorney Shook aggressively defends his clients’ rights.
- Possible advantages in negotiations with prosecutors: Attorney Shook has honed his negotiation skills throughout decades of practicing law. He can engage in productive discussions with prosecutors to potentially reduce charges or negotiate favorable plea bargains.
- Support throughout the criminal process: Facing criminal charges can be overwhelming and stressful, which Attorney Shook understands. This is why he treats clients with the utmost respect and works compassionately with them.
To learn more about how Attorney Shook’s experience could possibly benefit your criminal case, set up a free case review.
"Michael was very reassuring and confident - he kept his promises and both cases were eventually dismissed and expunged. I am forever thankful!"Rachel S.
"He knows what he's doing and works hard for your case."Mary R.
"They were all pleasant and wonderful to deal with. Thank you so much Mike!"Lisa C.